Scotland - Belfast 2004

22nd July 2004

Hello again all!!!

Well, I am writing to you from the lovely city of Belfast!!!

I have been here for the past 2 days visiting Coke here in Belfast to learn a bit from them about how they do business here compared to Australia and to see if there are any tips that I could bring back to Australia. It's been a great couple of days meeting some of the people here and going out to see what the marketplace is like here in Belfast. Very good experience and I have some photos to show some people from work when I get back there.

For the past week I've been in Scotland and Ireland pretty much either watching the British Open golf or playing golf. It's been a great week!

I went to Scotland last Wednesday with my school mate Pete and when we arrived in Edinburgh we headed straight for St Andrews, the home of golf. It was great to walk around the Old Course there where so many British Opens have been played. The last one there was in 2000 when Tiger Woods won so that was a bit of a thrill to get to walk the course. On Thursday we managed to play golf on the course which was an even bigger thrill! Thankfully I didn't play too bad to my score was quite reasonable for playing there and it was a great day! I couldn't believe though that it didn't get dark until 11pm at night and the sun rose at 4am!!! Crazy stuff!!!

On Friday Pete and I went to the British Open golf which was on the west coast of Scotland at Royal Troon. Was a great experience and we got to follow Greg Norman and Tiger Woods for most of the day. They were playing together and it was great to follow them and see them up close. They are both such good players and when watching live it is pretty easy to tell the difference between a professional golfer and a good amateur!!! I'm neither one of those by the way!!! :-)

On Saturday Pete and I played golf at Turnburry golf course which was about 40 minutes down the road from where the British Open was being played. It was the course where Greg Norman won his first British Open so that was a big thrill. Now I've played both courses where Greg Norman has won his British Open's so that has been kind of cool.

Off to Ireland Saturday night and more golf on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Doonbeg, Lahinch and Ballybunnion golf courses which are all golf courses inthe best 50 in the world! Great fun and very challenging golf but an awesome week! I didn't necessarily play good golf anywhere but the courses were great and I had a blast playing them!

The people in Scotland and Ireland have all been very welcoming and friendly and I've really enjoyed meeting them. People are right when they say thatthe Irish are the friendliest people around and the Scottish aren't too bad either! There is certainly no attitude in this part of the world.

So here I am in Belfast. Been here the past 2 days pretty much meeting people from Coke here and having a look around. Good experience and they have been very accommodating and friendly.

Heading to Dublin for the weekend tomorrow. Coke Ireland have got me playing a great golf course in Dublin tomorrow which should be fun and then tomorrow night Colin is flying in to hang out with me in Dublin for the weekend. Should be lots of fun! Have to visit the Guinness factory!

Next week is my last week here in the UK before heading to the USA and Canada. Going to the theatre on Tuesday night with Colin, Pete and his wife to watch "Jerry Springer - The Musical" which is getting great reviews over here and promises to be a huge laugh....can't wait!!

OK, well that's where I am up to on my adventures. Holiday is starting to go way too quickly now and before I know it, I'll be back at work!!!

Anyway, take care all and send me some news if you have any.

Dave
:-)

No comments: